Monday, February 20th, 2017
Home »Top Stories » Court acquits three over 2005 Delhi bomb blasts
An Indian court Thursday cleared three defendants over a series of bomb blasts in New Delhi in 2005 that killed 62 people, but jailed one of them for his links with a banned group.

New Delhi's Patiala House Court said there was not enough evidence against Tariq Ahmed Dar, Mohammed Hussain Fazili and Mohammed Rafiq Shah for their involvement in explosions that tore through two crowded markets and a bus ahead of the Hindu festival of lights, Diwali, in October 2005.

The court sentenced Dar to a decade in jail for his links with a militant group but since he had already served 12 years behind bars while awaiting the outcome of his case, it said he could walk free.

"It appears that no one was held guilty for the blasts because the prosecution could not prove the charges against them, except for one who was proven guilty for his association with a banned terror group," Sushil Bajaj, lawyer for Fazili, told AFP after the hearing.



the author

Top